Choosing VPS host is very difficult thing. There are so many choices to make; managed or unmanaged, what type of virtualization (XEN, OpenVZ etc). As moving between hosts can be tedious and costly, it’s important to be as sure as possible that the host you use is the right host for you. Today we will review Linode. We will talk about Linode features, reliability, usability, supports and price values, in which we will explain why Linode is a web hosting people could trust.
HeadQuarter in New Jersey, US, Linode (www.linode.com) is a Linux-based VPS hosting provider, who is famous in the hosting industry for its fast and reliable VPS solutions. Besides, Linode makes VPS affordable to almost everyone.
Linode Unbeatable VPS Features
Linode VPS represents freedom; the company offers the best possible tools and services that everything customers need to ensure them a better experience. Linode VPS solution contains endless features like:
- full SSH and root access, 8 processor Xen instances
- dedicated IP address, premium bw, and out of band console shell
- HA and clustering support, transfer pooling, managed DNS with API
- multiple options for 6 datacenters in the US, Europe, and Asia-Pacific
Additionally, customers will be guaranteed with server resources, and will not be affected by the other accounts because Linode has integrated Xen hypervisor technology into its VPS solution. The price of Linode is affordable, for example, Linode basic plan comes with 1GB RAM, 8 CPU (1 x priority), 48GB storage, 2TB transfer, and the price is $20/mo only.
The monthly price of Linode hosting service starts from $20, and customers can choose from month-to-month, 1-year, or 2-year payment terms. By using the exclusive Linode Coupon, people could receive 10% off for 1-year plan and 15% off for 2-year plan. No setup and inbound data transfer fees, Linode only guarantees 7 days money back.
Linode comes with no traditional control panel to help you set up your domains or help you configure virtual hosting. That means no CPanel or Plesk. Just the command line.
You will need to install Apache, MySQL, set up iptables firewall rules, disable remote root access, and configure Apache virtual hosts (to serve multiple sites with one IP address) etc. on your own. At first, this scared me a bit, but it’s actually not bad at all. It took me about a day to learn how to do everything I wanted to do and there are plenty of excellent tutorials online. The Linode Library and Slicehost Articles should have all you need to get going.
Linode Outstanding Reliability
Linode guarantees all customers 99.9% uptime, according to monitor, the uptime performance is even better than its guarantee. And customers can also get fast loading and running speed. This is due to:
- Powerful hardware: Linode utilizes only best-of-breed hardware, storage, networks, Intel Xeon processors, battery backed hardware RAID, and crazy network tubes.
- Multiple datacenters: at Linode, customers control where their data is located by choosing one of six geographically diverse datacenter in the USA, Europe, or Asia Pacific.
Some things that make Linode awesome:
- About once a year, Linode upgrades the storage and RAM for all users at no extra cost. For example: when I first joined Linode in 2009, I hosted all my sites on their cheapest plan — 360MB ram, 16GB storage, 200GB transfer — for $20/month. Since then, they’ve upgraded this so the same server now comes with 1GB ram, 48GB storage, and 2TB transfer — neat!
- Unlike most shared hosting providers, Linode does not oversell their hosting. At a cheap shared host, if you get even close to using all the bandwidth and storage that you paid for, you’d get shut down for “misusing resources” and “unfairly affecting other users on the server”. With Linode, your resources are actually yours — Linode doesn’t oversell.
Hosting Viral Websites with Linode
If you’re considering a Linode, I recommend you start out with the smallest one and upgrade if/when you need to.
I currently host all my sites on the “Linode 1GB” plan, which is probably overkill, but its nice to be able to handle random traffic spikes without much work. When a site goes viral, like YouTube Instant did or EmuSpin did, I just migrate to a bigger Linode.
For example, as YouTube Instant picked up steam, I upgraded the server several times, eventually ending up at the “Linode 4GB” plan — at the time, 4GB ram, 160GB storage, and 1600GB transfer. Migrating plans takes about 15 minutes, and your sites will be inaccessible during that time.
If I had more time, I would have switched from Apache to Nginx so that each new visitor wouldn’t spawn a whole new 20MB process. As you’ll quickly find out, the scarcest resource in a VPS hosting environment is RAM. Nginx, node.js — and other high concurrency, low memory servers — are a lifesaver here.
Linode Customer Service
When dealing with VPS hosting, there is no doubt that customers would confront with issues. Linode support experts are available 24h a day, 7days a week, customers feel free to contact them any time via phone call and email, and most tickets are answers in minutes. Besides, Linode community has tons of resources that help customers find the best solution.
Great Usability of Linode
With the help of self-developed control panel, customers are allowed to do reboot, rebuild VPS, and show the status of CPU, network, and IO. For the management of domain, email or database, they can also install other traditional control panel, such as cPanel, Webmin, or DirectAdmin.
Potential Drawback of Linode
There is one drawback we can think about on Linode. Linode doesn’t include a server control panel (such as cPanel or Plesk) into their packages. To use Linode VPS well, people have to be with good knowledge on Linux, such as Apache, server package management, and etc. This won’t be an issue for tech geeks, but might cause some problem to non-technical customers, and they have to spend additional $10/mo to $20/mo to install a cPanel or Plesk.
In short, we highly recommend Linode to web developers, tech geeks, and all-sizes of businesses. It is powerful and reliable and allows full customization, which could server customers’ demands very well. What’s more, all come at a very cheap price. To know more about Linode and its service, please visit www.linode.com, or check out Linode deal up to 15% off.